How Can I Join Pack 277?
If you would like to join Pack 277, contact the Cubmaster by clicking on the "contact our pack" icon on the menu bar at the top. Normally registration for Cub Scouts takes place in September. Boys moving into St. Anne's Church (pack 277) from another pack can join at any time.
What Does It Cost to Join?
The membership fee for Cub Scouts in Pack 277 is $125 per year. In addition, scouts will need a full field uniform available from the Scout Shop on Westinghouse Blvd. Brand new scouts will also need to purchase a scout handbook for their den. Returning scouts are given this book by the pack.
To keep costs down, Cub Scouts participate in a popcorn sale fundraising event in October. Out of these funds, the pack pays for:
- Registration fees and insurance for Scouts and adult leaders
- Subscriptions to Scouting magazine for each registered adult leader
- Quality or Honor Unit patches
- Advancement patches, pins and other awards for Scouts
- Snacks at Pack Meetings and supplies for Den Meetings.
- Tents and other camping equipment.
By participating in these fund raisers, a scout can potentially cover his entire scouting experience with no out of pocket expense.
What is a Pack?
A pack is a group of Cub Scouts, adult leaders and parents who belong to the same Cub Scout unit (e.g., Pack 277). A pack generally draws its membership primarily from an elementary school or church that is associated with the pack's Chartered Organization (which is St. Anne Catholic Church for pack 277). Each pack is made up of Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, and Arrow of Light dens.
What is a Chartered Organization?
A Chartered Organization is the sponsoring organization for a Cub Scout pack, usually a church, PTO, or other community group. The primary responsibilities of the Chartered Organization are to select the leadership of the pack and provide a meeting place. Each year, the pack must renew its Charter with its local council. The Chartered Organization must approve the rechartering application in order for the Charter to be renewed. The Charter Organization that sponsors Cubscout Pack 277 is St. Anne Catholic Church.
What is a Den?
A den is a small group of boys (ideally 6-8) of the same grade level. Each den meets on a weekly basis (our meetings are on Thursdays 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm at the St. Anne Catholic Life Center) to work on achievements and other activities. The den is led by adult Den Leaders and Assistant Den Leaders, who are responsible for planning and conducting each den meeting. There must be at least two adults present at each meeting or activity that involves the boys.
When and Where are Pack Meetings Held?
Pack meetings are held monthly. Most pack meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of the month. Pack 277 meets in the in the Parish Life Center at St. Annes Catholic Church at 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
What are Pack Meetings Like?
Each pack meeting is planned around a theme. Most pack meetings include games, advancements, and other activities. All Cub Scouts are expected to attend. Other family members are welcome.
Who Runs the Pack?
The pack is run entirely by unpaid volunteers.
- The Pack Committee, which currently consists of the Committee Chairman, Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmasters, and Den Leaders develop budgets, approve expenses, arrange for facilities and conduct overall planning. The Committee meets once each month.
- The Den Leaders and Assistant Den Leaders are most directly involved with the Cub Scouts. Dens generally meet weekly.
- An adult member of each Cub Scout household (including Tiger Cubs) is encouraged to participate in a volunteer position or serve on a committee (such as help with Pine Wood Derby, Blue and Gold Banquet, or clean up). Volunteers make the pack go and grow.
Where Can I Get More Information?
Contact the Cub Master, Pack Committee Chairman, Den Leader, or talk to a friend or neighbor who has a son in Cub Scouts.
You can also visit www.scouting.org to learn more about Scouting.